Job Opening: Gun Violence Prevention Regional Organizer
Doctors for America (DFA) is a national grassroots organization that mobilizes thousands of doctors and medical students in all 50 states putting patients over politics to improve the health, welfare, safety, and equality of our patients, community, and nation. This is OUR Lane too! Our 10 years of advocacy and education is filled with successes in amplifying the voice of physicians.
DFA has an immediate opening for the position of Regional Organizer for our Gun Violence Prevention Initiative (GVPI). DFA is looking for an experience organizer to lead this Initiative to embed doctors in MN and WI in the fight for gun violence reform. In addition to help oversee the components of this Initiative that engages our 18,000 members in collaboration with the national movement for gun violence reform. DFA members are on call for our patients, and on for our local, state, and national partners. This is a grant funded Initiative.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about engaging physicians in the fight for gun violence prevention and recruiting a strong diversity of physicians in this fight, and rebuilding DFA’s State Chapters in these states. Fundraising from engaged physicians is an equal priority.
As we succeed in this endeavor, this project will be expanding to other states, and this position is likely to evolve into being the Project Director of DFA’s GVPI that would encompass the oversight of a multi-state and national organizing effort.
- Reports to: DFA Executive Director - Position classification: Exempt, full time
- Manage the components of DFA’s Gun Violence Prevention Initiative targeting Wisconsin and Minnesota;
- Oversee, implement, assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events, develop documents, and recruit for our White Coats Advocacy Boot Camp Trainings of doctors;
- Embed this project with the state organizations, and engage and utilize our trained doctors to further the policy goals in these states;
- Oversee our GVP Web Portal (doctor story-telling) and engage these doctors’ stories in collaboration with our communication’s consultant and national partners;
- Host house parties in these states and other events to raise $40,000 from doctors;
- Supervise 2-4 part-time interns;
- Organizational duties include fundraising (help with grant writing and memberships/events), leadership development, and organizational development (internal and external);
- Contribute to DFA’s overall development and additional duties as assigned;
Requirements and qualifications:
- A solid 4-6 years of grassroots advocacy/targeted constituent organizing;
- Based in Wisconsin or Minnesota;
- Must have a working vehicle;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well on a diverse team, and previous supervising other staff;
- Administrative proficiencies, excellent writing, editing, communications and social media skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Sense of humor and flexibility;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Nation-Builder or compatible database, and website functions;
- Prior political and nonprofit experience—with both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations—are a plus;
- Strong work ethic, creativity, and tenacity in achieving objectives;
- Strong administrative skills, including computer competency (apple/Macs);
- Bi-lingual is also an added plus;
- Communications experience, working with the media and strong social media skills;
- Commitment to Doctor for America’s mission and goals;
- Please send: resume, cover letter and two writing sample to: DFA/GVP Regional Organizer - DFAJFGVP@drsforamerica.org
- Start Date: Available now – Must be hired by March 1st
- Salary/Benefits: Competitive salary, health care, vacation, sick days and Fidelity Simply IRA (employer match).