Doctors for America is a 501(c)(3) national movement of physicians and medical students working together to improve the health of the nation and to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, high quality health care.
Our Vision and Approach
We envision a fair, effective and affordable health care system — one fundamentally transformed and guided by the core values of doctors and our patients.
We recognize that doctors are critical to rebuilding our health care system and can be leaders in that process when we utilize our collective voice. As physicians and medical students on the front lines of our health system, we seek to empower one another to make change possible. We amplify our voices — anchored in our experiences with patients — to improve the health care system for everyone.
We believe that to create a better health care system and better health for everyone, we need to address three key areas:
- Access to Care
- Delivery System Reform
Doctors for America members are thousands of physicians and medical students in all 50 states. We practice and study in the largest cities and the smallest towns of America from New York City to Oklahoma City. We work in private practices, academic centers, community health centers, and government-run systems like the Veteran's Affairs and the Indian Health Service. We have many members in primary care and a variety of specialists as well. Some are just embarking on their medical careers and some have retired -- most are somewhere in between. We have members who are deans of medical schools, nationally renowned health policy experts, and those who are purely clinicians. Many of us have never ventured into politics before, but driven by pragmatic idealism, we are bringing the voice of physicians to communities across the country and to the national stage.
What has brought these physicians and medical students together is a desire to improve our health care system. We use the strength of our diverse backgrounds and common vision to build a robust and sustainable national movement.
Core Values and Culture
- We are bold and fearless.
- We are creative and flexible.
- We value everyone. Every voice matters.
- We cultivate strong relationships and a family spirit with partners and colleagues.
- We are accountable to one another in our individual and collective work.
- We are open and honest.
- We are passionate and determined.
- We grow and learn and help others do the same.
- We have fun and celebrate!
- We ensure every action meets our highest standard: will it help create a healthier America for everyone?
Why are we focused on physicians? Why not include other healthcare providers and patients?
- We are focused on physicians because we understand physicians well and are most effective in organizing our own profession.
- We regularly work in coalition with other organizations that represent nurses, physician assistants, pharmacists, patients, and other professionals who deliver or receive healthcare.
Why do we need another organization to represent physicians? My physician organization is already engaged in healthcare reform efforts.
Doctors for America’s grassroots, broad-based coalition of physicians has allowed us to develop a framework for mobilizing physicians from different regions and specialties for a specific purpose: to make individual physicians' voices heard in the health reform effort. Doctors for America does not seek to replace existing health care efforts by other physician organizations. Instead, Doctors for America seeks to augment these efforts by keeping our members informed about activities taking place across the spectrum of physician organizations and giving them a concrete channel through which to voice their ideas.