Doctors For America 10-Year Anniversary National Leadership Conference
Friday, November 8 - Saturday, November 9, 2019
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Address: Johns Hopkins University - Armstrong Medical Educational Building. 1600 McElderry St, Baltimore, MD 21202.
The conference will feature:
- “White Coats Boot Camp” half-day training programs (with special focus on gun violence and prescription drugs). Participation is limited. Training begins at 8:00 am - Friday November 8th. These are designed to build your advocacy and messaging skills.
- Keynotes and plenary sessions featuring luminaries in medicine, public health, public policy, social justice, and advocacy
- Medical trainee-focused organizing
- An opportunity to welcome our friends from NPA
- Featured Speakers:
- Jonathan Cohn: Senior National Correspondent at The Huffington Post - Politics of Health Care for ALL and Our Democracy
- Kris Brown: President of Brady
- Dr. Abdul El-Sayed, former executive director of the Detroit Health Department and Health Officer for the City of Detroit
- Dr. Raegan McDonald-Mosley, former Chief Medical Officer of Planned Parenthood of Maryland
- Dr. Dhruv Khullar, Physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and an assistant professor in the Weill Cornell Department of Healthcare Policy and Research
Plenary Sessions and Workshops on topics from across public health, health equity, and social justice advocacy:
- Women’s reproductive health care and justice - the attack on women and the medical profession;
- Why Doctors MUST Organize: Building the Physician's Voice
- Prescription drug affordability - national and state efforts
- Gun Violence Prevention - national and state efforts
- Healthcare for ALL
- Substance Use Disorder
- Immigrant Health and Rights
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Training workshop (video storytelling, writing op-eds, organizing in your local community, etc.)
- and much more
CME will be provided - number of hours pending.
8:00 am to 12:30 pm: White Coats Advocacy Boot Camp Training (Gun violence prevention and Drug Affordability)
1 - 2 pm: Lunch Speaker - Dr. Raegan McDonald-Mosley
2:15 - 3:30 pm: Plenary: Attacks on Women's Reproductive Health Care Rights and Doctors
3:45 - 5:15 pm: Plenary: Why Doctors MUST Organize
7:00 - 9:30 pm: Dinner Speaker - Jonathan Cohn
DFA Overview // Welcoming NPA into the DFA Community // Building Our Fight for Health Care for ALL
9:30 pm: Reception
8 am: Welcome and Speaker - Dr. Dhruv Khullar
9 am: Plenary I: Drug Affordability
10:30 am: Workshops I
11:45 am: Workshops II
12:45 pm: Luncheon Speaker
1:30 pm: Plenary II: Substance Use Disorder
3 pm: Workshops III
4:30 pm: Plenary III: Gun Violence Prevention
7:00 pm: 10th Year Anniversary Dinner - Speaker Dr. Abdul El-Sayed
- DFA Award // Announcement of Healing America 2020 Campaign
9:15 pm: Special Reception
8:30 am - 11 am: Informal Issue Working Group Meetings
The conference hotel is Residence Inn Baltimore at The Johns Hopkins Medical Campus for 165 USD per night.
Book your room at the group rate ($165/night) for the National Leadership Conference. Note: You must book your room by October 24th be guaranteed this discount.
- If you can recruit at least 10 trainees from your institution to sign up together, you are eligible for a 30% per person discount. (Please email email@example.com with a list of those registering together.)
- Submit an abstract or draft OpEd to present at the conference, and to apply for travel awards.
- Learn more and apply here for both opportunities.