Doctors for America Internship Program
Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Rolling
Doctors for America is a national movement of thousands of doctors and medical students in all 50 states who are working together to improve the health of the nation and to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, high-quality health care. We have become a national leader in making sure health care works for all our patients by playing a key role in passing the Affordable Care Act and ensuring that our patients receive its benefits.
Read more about our core work at the end of this description.
Apply to Be a Doctors for America Intern: Be a Core Member of Our Team
DFA full- and part-time interns are core members of the small team located in D.C. You will work directly with the Executive Director, other staff, and physician leaders across the country and provide support on both the state and national levels. Our aim is for you to have a rich experience with both breadth and depth of activities – from policy to advocacy to organizing to administration. You will work hard and gain new skills, confidence, professional guidance, and friendships.
What You’ll Learn
You will be exposed to a variety of activities, skills, and people through this internship. The specific skills you gain will depend on where we need you most on any given week. Areas of learning may include:
- Community organizing – how to mobilize others to action
- Organizing events like town hall meetings, calls with experts, and more
- Outreach to community organizations to build a coalition
- Advocating for issues at both the state and national levels
- Insight into the experiences of physicians and medical students around the country
- How to fundraise for a cause you care about
- Using social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) for public education and advocacy
- The basics of media, including writing press releases
- Updating a website, including html
- Administrative support functions
Location: Washington, DC
Note: please contact us for volunteer opportunities outside the DC area by emailing info(at)drsforamerica.org.
Compensation: Compensation in the form of school credit or a small stipend is available.
Summer: June – August
Fall: September – December
Winter: January – March
Spring: January – May
*starting dates are flexible.
General Intern Qualifications
- Interest in social justice and health care
- Hard-working and willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Able to take initiative and take direction
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Eager to get feedback to improve performance
- Attention to detail
- Web skills a plus
DFA offers an opportunity to intern directly for our Communications Director. The communications intern will assist with communications, media and marketing initiatives for Doctors for America's events, activities and programs. The intern will interact regularly with physician members and collaborate with staff across departments. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Managing media contacts
- Assisting in creating and disseminating press releases
- Monitoring print and online media clips
- Contributing content to e-newsletters and DFA website
- Social media content creation and implementation
- Assisting with overall branding and marketing efforts
- Drafting op-eds and letters to the editor
Communications Internship Qualifications
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office suite products
- Able to multi-task, meet deadlines and work well independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge and familiarity with healthcare issues is strongly preferred
Interested in Joining the Team?
The Doctors for America program is run jointly by Doctors for America and the Center for American Progress. All undergraduate and masters- or graduate-level students are eligible to apply. International students must have INS authorization to work in the United States.
In order to apply for an internship, please submit the following to Erin Green, Director, Internship Program, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com:
- Internship application (Internship application (PDF) or Internship application (RTF)) – please mark “Other” and write in “Doctors for America” under “Part IV – Departments of interest.”
- Cover letter and resume
- Writing sample of approximately three pages (your own words, unedited)
- College or university transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Two to three references (please provide both the phone and email contact information, and include a professor or other individual familiar with your work)