Doctors for America Internship Program
Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer
Application Deadline: Rolling
Do you want to help millions of Americans get access to health care this year?
Doctors for America is a national movement of thousands of doctors and medical students in all 50 states who are working together to improve the health of the nation and to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, high-quality health care. We have become a national leader in making sure health care works for all our patients by playing a key role in passing the Affordable Care Act and ensuring that our patients get its benefits.
Apply to Be a Doctors for America Intern: Be a Core Member of Our Team
DFA full- and part-time interns are a core members of the small team located in DC. You will work directly with the Executive Director, other staff, and physician leaders across the country. Our aim is for you to have a rich experience with both breadth and depth of activities – from policy to advocacy to organizing to administration. You will work hard and gain new skills, confidence, and friendships.
Coverage is Good Medicine 2013: Help Get Millions of Americans Access to Health Care!
Millions of Americans will be able to sign up for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a., ObamaCare) starting on October 1, 2013. But the vast majority of people do not know this opportunity is coming to them and their families.
DFA is playing a leading role in educating the public and mobilizing partner organizations in communities across the country. We’re doing public events and media outreach. We’re collaborating with organizations of all stripes – from the government agencies to companies to other doctor organizations to the premier health care advocacy organizations in the country.
What You’ll Learn
You will be exposed to a variety of activities, skills, and people through this internship. The specific skills you gain will depend on where we need you most on any given week. Areas of learning may include:
- Community organizing –how to mobilize others to action
- Organizing events like town hall meetings, calls with experts, and more
- Outreach to community organizations to build a coalition
- Insight into the experiences of physicians and medical students around the country
- How to fundraise for a cause you care about
- Using social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) for public education and advocacy
- The basics of media, including writing press releases
- Updating a website, including html
- Administrative support functions
Location: Washington, DC
Note: please contact us for volunteer opportunities outside the DC area by emailing info(at)drsforamerica.org.
Compensation: Compensation in the form of school credit or a small stipend is available.
Winter/Spring 2014: November 3, 2013
Summer 2014: February 2, 2014
Fall 2014: July 13, 2014
- Interest in social justice and health care.
- Hard-working and willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Able to take initiative and take direction.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Eager to get feedback to improve performance
- Attention to detail.
- Web skills a plus
Interested in Joining the Team?
The Doctors for America program is run jointly by Doctors for America and the Center for American Progress. All undergraduate and masters- or graduate-level students are eligible to apply. International students must have INS authorization to work in the United States.
In order to apply for an internship, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Internship application (Internship application (PDF) or Internship application (RTF)) – please mark “Other” and write in “Doctors for America” under “Part IV – Departments of interest.”
- Cover letter and resume
- Writing sample of approximately three pages (your own words, unedited)
- College or university transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Two to three references (please provide both the phone and email contact information, and include a professor or other individual familiar with your work)