Coverage is Good Medicine:
ACA Outreach and Enrollment
Doctors, medical students, and other health care providers play an important role in getting uninsured patients connected to health insurance. Since 2013, 16.4 million people have gotten covered through the new health insurance options created by the Affordable Care Act. That's the biggest increase since Medicare and Medicaid opened in the 1960's! But millions more still don't know they qualify for health insurance.
Doctors for America members are doing their part. We are giving presentations in churches and community colleges, handing out fliers in clinics and hospitals, calling uninsured individuals to encourage them to enroll, and using media and social media to get the word out. We even did a Coverage is Good Medicine Bus Tour in Florida!
Special Enrollment Periods
The next Marketplace open enrollment period is November 1, 2015 to January 30, 2015.
But there are several ways people can get covered in the meantime.
Year-round enrollment is available for the following programs:
- Medicaid: For low-income individuals and families
- CHIP: For children in low-income families
- Small business marketplace: For small businesses of 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- Federally-recognized Indian tribes and Alaska Native shareholders can sign up or change plans once per month throughout the year
- Getting married
- Having a baby
- Adopting a child or placing a child for adoption or foster care
- Losing your insurance (for example: losing your job, graduating from school, turning 26)
- Permanently moving outside your plan's coverage area (for example: moving to another state)
- Gaining citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S.
- Gaining status as a member of a federally-recognized Indian tribe or Alaska Native shareholder (see above)
- Leaving incarceration
- Change in income or family status that changes your eligibility for premium tax credits or cost-sharing reduction changes
Help Your Community Get Covered
Partners in Your Community
- HHS Regional Offices: Find Your Regional Contact.
- National Association of Community Health Centers: Find Your State Affiliate
- Community Health Centers that received ACA Outreach and Enrollment Grants: Find Your State Grantees
- Navigator Organizations: Federal Marketplace Navigators (Check with your state marketplace if yours is not federally facilitated.)
- Enroll America: Contact us for local contacts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get involved in Doctors for America's Medicaid Expansion campaign to help more people in your community qualify for health insurance.